You will need a blank, formatted floppy disk or a blank CD to create the diagnostic disk. To create a diagnostic disk, you can follow one of the procedures below:
OPTION 1: Creating a diagnostic CD.
- Download the Diag504fCD.zip or Diag504fCD.iso file DLG Diagnostics for DOS (CD) download.
- Extract the Diag504cCD.zip file to your desktop with a file extraction utility. (Alternately, you have the option to download the ISO version of the file which does not require extraction with a zip utility).
- You must use a CD burning program (such as Nero Burning Rom or EZ-CD Creator) to burn a CD from the .ISO image.
- You can now boot the computer to the diagnostics CD. Make sure your boot order in your BIOS is set to boot to the CD-ROM drive first.
OPTION 2: Creating a diagnostic floppy disk.
- Download the DlgDiagv504f.zip file or DlgDiagv504f.exe file DLG Diagnostics for DOS (Floppy) download. Save this file to your desktop.
- Extract and run the DlgDiagv504f.exe file. (Alternately you have the option to download the exe version of the file which does not require extraction with a zip utility).
- You will see a Diskette Creator icon on your desktop.
- Insert an empty formatted floppy diskette into the floppy diskette drive.
- Double-click on the Diskette Creator icon, follow the prompts and create your diagnostic diskette.
- You can now boot to this diskette. Make sure that your boot order in your Bios is set to boot from the floppy drive first.
How do I test a WD Serial ATA or EIDE hard drive for errors using a Data Lifeguard Diagnostics CD or Floppy disk?
To test a Western Digital Serial ATA or EIDE hard drive for errors using the diagnostic disk, you can follow these steps:
- Boot your computer and set your system BIOS to boot to a CD or Floppy disk first. If you do not know how to enter or adjust your system BIOS please refer to your computer/motherboard user manual or contact the manufacturer.
- Save the new BIOS setting (F10) and insert the Data LifeGuard diagnostic disk into your disk drive.
- You will be brought to the License Agreement screen, read the agreement and hit the Esc button.
- Press the Y key to accept the license agreement.
- You will be at the main menu for the Diagnostic Utility. Use the down arrow button to highlight Extended Test and press the Enter key.
- The software will tell you that a Quick Test will be run first. Press R to continue.
- After the Quick Test is run you should receive a four-digit error code that will indicate the status of your drive.
- If you receive an error code of 0000, this indicates that the hard drive does not contain any defects or errors and is working properly.