To low-level format a hard drive using Drive Setup, follow these steps:
- Start by selecting the hard drive you wish to low-level format.
- Under the Function menu select Initialization Options…
- Select Low Level Format (a check mark will appear) and click OK.
- Click Initialize at the bottom of the main screen.
- Again click Initialize.
Drive Setup will low-level format the drive and prepare it for use with the Mac OS, after which it can be loaded with software.
- Low-level formatting a hard drive will destroy all data on the drive and destroy any chance of data recovery. We suggest you make a reliable back up of all data before attempting this.
- Canceling a low-level format of a SCSI hard drive before it has completed can render the drive permanently inoperable.
- Low-level formatting can take several hours depending on the drive.